The Service Manager is first and foremost responsible for ensuring high quality craftsmanship is being done in the field by helpers, apprentices, and technicians. The Service Manager is directly in charge of the technician work force and should be the go-to person for technical questions and personnel related matters. This position also requires engagement with the day-to-day operations
of the service schedule and logistics as supported by the dispatching team.
- Dispatchers/Customer Service Representatives (CSR)
- HVAC and Plumbing Technicians and Helpers
- Hires and trains new employees.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Has authority for personnel actions.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees as needed and in accordance with company policy.
- Supervises and coordinates the operations, maintenance, and service repairs on heating, ventilating, and air conditioning systems.
- Oversees the installation of new units and replacement parts and ensures work is completed according to company specifications and established safety guidelines.
- Trains and supports employees to achieve a zero-defect goal and tracks call-back and warranty issues.
- May authorize equipment purchases and repair parts.
- Plans, monitors, and manages the daily service activities of technicians, dispatchers, and CSRs in the performance of their jobs.
- Tracks service progress, timing, costs, and pricing of all ongoing jobs for the day
- Supports technicians in the field with training and technical advice as needed.
- Provides support for technicians during on-call hours, coordinate with answering service as needed.
- Determines daily workflow and scheduling.
- Monitors and supports the daily dispatching effort and customer service functions.
- Works with technicians to create job estimates.
- Obtains price quotes from vendors as needed.
- Reviews and approves invoices for material purchases related to Service activities.
- Calculates/verifies commissions on new equipment installations.
- Coordinates and works with the procurement team to order and track materials requested by service technicians.
- Tracks and manages supply and tool inventory for vehicles and shop.
- Evaluates current and proposed operational systems and procedure and implements changes, as necessary.
- Prepares reports and audits to monitor and improve operations effectiveness
- Assists with budget preparations for the operations.
- Contributes and assists with, or prepares and updates, operations manuals, policies, processes and procedures, and monitors and ensures compliance.
- Responsible for promoting and implementing the Company’s safety program/rules, training and investigation as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Extensive knowledge of HVAC and plumbing service work (field experience preferred).
- Excellent managerial and supervisory skills.
- Understanding of and ability to adhere to generally accepted safety principles/standards.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to analyze information and multi-task, and excellent organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software
- Service Titan experience (preferred)
- Minimum of five years of experience in technical services, dispatching/customer service-related position (industry experience preferred).
- Minimum of High School Diploma.
- May be required to complete an apprenticeship and or formal training in the area of specialty.
- Must be able to drive a company service van from time to time.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Understanding of and ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds at a time.